Sunday, March 4, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing


Red Velvet is my favorite kind of cake! These cupcakes are delicious! My aunt used to make these for me every year for my birthday. Now, I try to continue the tradition and make them for myself :)

Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1 oz. bottle red food coloring.
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons cocoa

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, vinegar, and food coloring and beat well. Measure out buttermilk and add vanilla. Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa. Add alternately dry mixture with buttermilk mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Always begin and end with DRY ingredients when adding alternately with wet ingredients. Pour into greased and floured pans. Bake 8" round cake pans for 30-35 minutes. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes.

Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients:
1 stick butter, softened
1 8oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-6 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Cream butter, cream cheese, and vanilla. Sift and add powdered sugar until it reaches desired consistency. Spread on cooled cake/cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment