Friday, December 6, 2013

Apple and Sausage Cornbread Stuffing


Apple and Sausage Cornbread Stuffing

I made this delicious stuffing for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful!  I like the combination of wheat bread and corn bread!  It does make a lot though so I think next time I will halve the recipe. 

Ingredients:
2 packages dry corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
1 lb pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage)
1 apple - peeled, cored, and diced (I used a gala apple)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
8 slices wheat bread, cut into cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions:
Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions the night before.  Cool and crumble.  Set out corn bread crumbled and cubed wheat bread overnight to get a little stale. 
Preheat oven to 350*F.  Brown sausage over medium high heat, drain and add back to skillet.  Add celery, onion, apple, and garlic powder and cook a few minutes, until soft.  In a large bowl, combine sausage mixture with crumbled corn bread and cubed wheat bread.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add chicken broth if needed for moisture, it should ball up nicely.  If stuffing bird, do that with mixture at this point.  If baking in separate casserole dish, bake in preheated oven 45 minutes or until golden brown. 


By:  Allrecipes

No comments:

Post a Comment